SUMMARY of COMPLAINT to SWINDON BOROUGH COUNCIL
FULL COUNCIL - 23rd FEBRUARY 2009
DECISION TO CLOSE LIBRARIES, INCLUDING OLD TOWN LIBRARY
1. That the decision to close libraries made at the Council budget meeting on 23 February 2009 was not based on a properly drawn up plan which had been published and discussed by councillors or been the subject of consultation with residents affected by it.
2. That the budget for the public library service in Swindon in 2009-10 drawn up by officers did not contain all the relevant information that councillors would need in order to make the properly considered decisions it required.
3. That in the matter of closing public libraries the council has not followed its own guidance, or the government guidance, on consultation.
4. That prior to the budget meeting of the council, councillors were not provided with all the information relevant to the decisions that were to be made even though such information was available to officers of the council.
5. That councillors have, on a number of occasions, made statements which are not born out by evidence which has been provided to them by officers. These are notably, on the subject of whether proper consultation has been carried out, and whether certain facilities can or can not be afforded.
6. That the council has not taken due, proper and sufficient notice of a petition signed by 1,335 residents in respect of Old Town Library.
7. That, in cumulation of all these matters officers and councillors have not conducted the business of the council to the standard and with the openness which residents of the town are entitled to expect.
3 March 2009